Sunday, March 9, 2008

A thought on John 9

The other day I was listening to the gospel of John over and over on my iPod, an exercise I would highly encourage anyone to take up. I think I was on my third time when something struck me as interesting. In John 9:5-7 the writer says,  "Having said these things, he spat on the ground and made mud with the saliva. Then he anointed the man’s eyes with the mud and said to him, "Go, wash in the pool of Siloam" (which means Sent). So he went and washed and came back seeing." The first thing I noticed in the verse was the heavy imagery used, We have some very common word pictures that are used throughout the scriptures. Basically what I got out of it was this:

When the Word of life (the product of Christ's mouth) comes in contact with unseeing man (who came from the dust) The only possible outcome is the healing of blindness.

Just a thought.



3 comments:

FCN said...

That's an interesting thought. I've never made the connection between the two things that came from His mouth (spit and words). But I'd always wondered why He didn't just use water…

Allegra said...

David, sounds like God really spoke to you. I love when I have those brilliant flashes of revelation! Thank you for sharing it with us.

ruthyruthyruthy said...

humm..that is good whitey. I'd never thought of it that way. Isn't it amazing how you can hear the same scripture over and over..and then one day it jumps off the page at you in a whole new light?