Friday, July 18, 2008

Deathe with an e

I was sitting in church about three weeks ago musing death. I cannot explain why I was musing this "most unpleasent" of thoughts but it doesn't change the truth. I have this interesting trait, If I have an idea I don't generally go immediately to my blog and write it down... maybe I should. hmmmmmm. So after a few weeks of rumination I now give you "Death with an e"

Deathe. (some scattered verse)

Deathe
Life
a dance so delicate
stray but a little and you may fall
Life and death is a thin grey line.

Breathing, gasping, stillness.
in a moment we lose our grasp
in a second glance we lose this thing
This life at which we gasp.

A thin line grey, a tightrope light
a lightened brightened blackened sight
a thread we tread with which the dead
long again to once more tread.

You might be thinking why on earth am I posting this. That this is as unrelated to reality to be irrelevant. Well sometimes our thoughts take this grand journey, which is what I desire to do. Now among my few (or is my grandmother's computer out of service) readers I count several of you to be intellectual and good thinkers. Allow me to rephrase that. I count all of you as good thinkers. So I am hoping that some of you are psychotic enough (yes I said psychotic, the good kind) and now understand why there is an "e" at the end of death. . . . Ok let me enlighten you.

Like I said I was thinking, And an idea occurred to me, death is so imperfect in its spelling, it's missing something drastic. I pondered this and realized the the spelling and idea behind the word (at least the english spelling) was entirely devoid of any sort of complexity a word of that magnitude deserves. D E A T H. Bordering on the boring I decided to take matters in my own hands and add a much needed "e". Deathe. It looks nicer and even though the pronunciation is the same it carries more of a weight and beauty. But now you want to know why.

What is the last letter in the word Life? You shouldn't have to think long. And if you just can't place in in your mind It is here for reference a mere twenty three words back. The last letter of "LIFE" is in fact "e" And I thought is so ironically fitting to place the last letter of life at the end of death...e. Perhaps this still seems extremely useless and you think I am wasting your time. Now let us look at the idea a little further and I think there are actually some very interesting thoughts to be mused.

So aside from the word looking perhaps a little more formal and proper what else can be gained from this little change in spelling? We already have the irony so how about a little truth. If you are a Christian this especially applies to you. The end of life "e" is also the end of death "e". How fitting. Wouldn't it be poetic? That the same letter that brings life to a close also brings death to a close as well? Now you may be wondering why I even took the time to write this down. After all I am not going to get everyone to change the way they spell a word. I suppose the point of this exercise in futility is nothing more than and exercise in thinking. So whether you read this or not, whether you get it or not, whether you change the way you think or not realize that the mind is a horrible thing to waste. And even thinking over a simple misspelling can be a wonderful thing...


Deathe.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm… I actually think death is spelled strangely enough. "Ea" making the short "e" sound? It does so often enough, but I never could find a good reason. Adding the E gives it a nice archaic touch. But what is the significance of ending both words with the same letter? The Devil brings life to a close, but Christ has brought death to a close. How are the two similar?

ruthyruthyruthy said...

I like that poem.

David White said...

Ahhhh matthew. This open an interesting thought. Does The devil bring death? Does God's power fall short on this line? Or does God ordain all our days before we even see them?


I think I know.

Anonymous said...

Good point David. I think the Devil does bring death. Why else would Christ have defeated death?

That does not mean that God's power falls short. It just means that God allows the Devil to implement the inescapable consequences of sin.

I would say more, but I don't want to inflict your blog with a debate about the question of God and evil. :-)

David White said...

But for Christians! The devil can no longer bring death for it is "swallowed up in victory". That is why I said :If you are a Christian this especially applies to you." Because Our God who gives us life and death bring both to us in a way that is not to be feared. And of course I want debate! do you think I write so people can be like "oh what a demented young man"?